A Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) certificate has thus the sole most significant license necessary for doing food business operatives in India. All the eligible food operators, such as manufacturers, transporters, distributors, retailers, etc., are also required to have a Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) license before the commencement of the business. But, it is not necessary only for receiving a Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) certificate. It is equally essential to renew the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) Food license from time to time. The validity of a Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) license extends from one to five years. However, it depends upon the number of years the food operator chooses. The charge of the certificate thus increases when the number of years increases.
Therefore according to the food labelling requirements, you would need to apply for the renewal of the license within 30 days of the expiration of the existing license. If the renewal application has not been filed within this time, then a penalty of Rs.100 will be charged for every day of delay in registration. Thus, if the license renewal is not applied for within the specified time, the license is considered to be terminated, and the business operator is required to determine whether the business activity is conducted at the premises. The business operator then will have to apply for a new license to resume their business. Therefore, it is prudent to register your food license on time to avoid penalties. Therefore, renewing a license with the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is the same as applying for a permit.
Procedures for renewing a food license
Some essential steps need to be followed as they are:
- The first step to renewing an FSSAI license is to complete Form A (Basic FSSAI registration form) or Form B (Central or State FSSAI Registration Form) along with the previous license and all the necessary documents as per the food safety and standards Act, regulations/laws.
- The filled-out FSSAI License renewal application is submitted to the relevant authority for inspection in step two.
- The concerned authority will forward it to the responsible officers, who will verify the FBOs.
- The fourth step involves authorized FSSAI officers conducting a thorough investigation and inspection of the food business and the guidelines and standards.
- The FSSAI/Food license is expected to be granted within 60 days by the relevant authority.
Validity and renewal of registration and license
There are some rules and regulations which we follow, which are explained in detail below:
- According to the rules, registration or certificate must be lawful and valid for a period of one to five years, as chosen by the food business operator, from the date of issuance, subject to making a payment for the application fee and compliance with all terms and conditions of the license.
- To renew a registration or certificate under these regulations, the application must be submitted on Form A or B of Schedule 2, as appropriate, at least 30 days before the expiry date indicated on the license.
- The registration or certificate shall be continued to be in strength till such time that the orders have passed on the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) renewal application which in no case should be beyond thirty days from the date of expiry of such registration or license.
- Any regeneration request filed outside the period but earlier than the expiry date shall be accompanied by a late fee of Rs 100 every day for each day of delay.
- Any registration or license that has not been renewed within the period mentioned above will expire, and the Food Business Operator will cease all commercial activity. To restart the food business, the food business operator shall apply for a new registration or license as provided in regulation as the case may be.
- Food business operators that consume valid documentation from a credited food protection auditor or an accredited agency or any other organization notified by the food authority for this purpose are not required to be inspected before renewal of the license.
We assist our clients in dealing with compliances related to FSSAI registration, FSSAI registration state license & FSSAI registration central license. If you have any questions or wish to know more about Renew of FSSAI Food License in India, kindly contact us.